When I scheduled our appointment with Dr. S three months ago, I thought the day would never come. But with the holidays and a slew of birthdays, time has flown by!
I must admit, last night as Wade and I were laying in bed talking, I questioned if this was the right path. We have two beautiful, healthy girls whom we cherish - maybe we just aren't meant to have more. But we both agreed that we want more and that we should try the medical options available to make that happen.
I was very impressed with Dr. S and was appreciative that he kept his explanations short since we have been though this before to get Charlotte. He liked what he saw in my files from Charlotte and feels that we might have to go that same road again (though the medicines are different now and, added bonus, NOT given sub-q!! For Charlotte I had to do 17 days IN A ROW of sub-q shots and after day 4, sitting down was not fun. I can only imagine how painful carrying a toddler on that hip would be!
I am waiting now for my cycle to start so I can have blood work done. He wants to check my levels (LH, FSH, and a few others that my non-medical mind quickly forgot about) and make sure my pituitary gland is functioning properly. The results of the blood work will be back the same day, and we will discuss our game plan.
If it is a pituitary gland problem, it can be corrected with medication and no fertility intervention would be needed (in theory).
If it is a hormonal problem (or lack there of, as in the case for Charlotte), which he suspects it is, then we will start the fertility drugs, ultrasounds, etc right away.
Dr. S also assured us that he is very conservative with his methods, and while he cannot promise us a singleton birth, that is his goal.
I feel like a weight has been lifted and now we are really going to turn this desire for another child into a reality. The past 6 months or so have felt like limbo. We were pretty sure my body was not working properly again, but there was nothing we could really do about it (due to the move and lack of health insurance from Wade changing jobs).
But the time has come, and I couldn't be more thrilled about it!

No comments:
Post a Comment