This afternoon I had my second appointment with Dr. B (my high-risk OB) to check on Christmas Baby and get a base-line measurement of my cervix. One of the many problems I had with Frances was a shortened cervix and Dr. B wants to keep on top of it this pregnancy before (if) it becomes a problem.
He was about to start the ultrasound when he asked, "Do you know what you are having?"
"We are not finding out, remember?" I said.
"This is your last warning," he said. "When I walk into that room and say 'Hi! How are you doing?' your response needs to be 'We don't want to know the sex of the baby.'"
I laughed and agreed to always remind him first that we don't want to find out. The baby looks great. He (and I am just using he so I don't have to type "he/she" or call the baby an "it") is about 5 ounces now and his heart rate was in the 150 range.
When it came time for Dr. B to get the leg measurements, he had me close my eyes. They were closed for all of about five seconds when he said, "Well, it's definitely a boy....or a girl!" My heart stopped before I realized what he said, then I just had to laugh. This doctor is a trip!
Dr. B thinks I might have a bicornuate uterus which may be the cause for our two little preemie girls. While a bicornuate uterus is not something you can diagnose from an ultrasound, he is pretty certain from the images of my uterus that this is what is going on. It is something that should have been caught during my c-section with Frances, but the doctor who delivered Frances may not have examined my uterus and not all bicornuate uterus look abnormal from the outside. Since there is no sure way to know if I have it or not, we are going forward acting as if I do not have it, but it is something he wants checked out for this c-section.
When Dr. B started talking about my uterus, all I could think was, "Finally!! An answer!!" Now I know it might not be why I went into preterm labor (and I might not even have it), but for a brief moment it felt so good to have an answer as to why my body can't/won't keep my babies in longer than 34 weeks.
Everything else checked out great and at the moment, there is no need to worry. My cervix measured around 2.8 (anything above 3 is considered great, anything below 1.something (can't remember the exact number) is considered bad).
I start my P-17 shots tomorrow (ouch!) and will go back on the 29th for another cervix check. Until then, I hope this sweet baby just keeps on cooking!
Profile
Waving "hello!"



No comments:
Post a Comment