Thursday, August 26, 2010

23 week high-risk check-up

**Note: Today's post will refer to the baby as a girl for ease of writing. We still do not know the sex of the baby, nor do we want to. **

This morning I had my follow up ultrasound from last week's bad news that my cervix had shortened 0.3 cm.  I was a bit nervous about what the ultrasound would show, especially since instead of taking it easy this past week I have pretty much done anything and everything I could just in case bed rest was licking at my heels. 

Dr. B started out the check-up with performing the fFN test.  I will not lie, it hurt like the dickens.  It is a simple swab test, but OUCH!  Not something I want to be doing too often.  Thankfully it came back negative, and maybe we can hold off doing another one of those for a few weeks.

After that it was time to check on Christmas Baby.  She was not in the mood for an ultrasound and had her back to us (she was "looking" at my spine) and had her hand covering even the slightest sliver of her face that we could have been able to see.  She was actually pretty still this ultrasound, but I think that was due to the contractions I was having.  It was so odd.  I haven't had contractions in the longest time, and the second I got on that table this morning, I had a really strong one.  Three smaller ones followed and lasted the rest of the check-up.  From what I can tell, they have gone away. 

Her heart rate was in the upper 150's/lower 160's.  I don't really remember what he said as I was too worried about the upcoming cervix check.  When it was time for the cervix check, I didn't see it at first (and yes, sadly I now know what I am looking for!).  My heart sank.  I was so worried that I over did it and now was in a real danger zone.  But Dr. B assured me it was there, he just needed to adjust the contrast to see it better.  And guess what?  Not only was it there, but it was back up to almost 3cm!!

According to Dr. B, cervical length can vary depending on 1) the ultrasound (it is not an exact science when measuring centimeters via sound waves) and 2) the various pressures of my body (so possibly last week the baby was in a different spot pushing down longer/harder on my cervix than this past week). 

He was also still hopeful that maybe all my cervical issues with Frances were just that....with Frances. 

Dr. B wants to see me again in two and a half weeks for another check and was hopeful that maybe we can back off on checking out the baby if all continues to look good. 

As I was checking out and making my next appointment, I couldn't help but notice the expecting mom sitting in the next chair doing the same thing.  Poor thing had tears streaming down her face and kept having to wipe them away with a tissue.  The nurse was making some appointment for her with another doctor and my heart just broke for her.  While I have no idea what news about her baby Dr. B had given her, it clearly was not good.  I said a prayer for her and thanked God for all the blessings He has bestowed on us. 

We are so blessed to have this little one growing in my belly and I am so thankful that, so far, my body is holding strong. 

A very special thank you to Mia for coming down and going with me to my appointment!  You just might be my good luck charm!

No comments:

Post a Comment