Thursday, October 21, 2010

31 week high-risk check-up

This morning I had my 31 week high-risk check-up.  I was very anxious going into it because all last night I had nightmares that I was going into labor.   All. night. long.

I would dream that I was having contractions and trying to figure out what to do with the girls so we could get to the hospital, wake up, try to figure out if that was real or not, fall back asleep, then repeat dream but with my water breaking this time.  Over and over again this cycle continued that when I woke up this morning I really had to to take a moment and make sure I wasn't really in labor. 

It turns out my worrying was for nothing as my appointment went great.  The baby is weighing in at about 3 pounds, 7 ounces (40th percentile) and had a heart rate of 162.  She (again, just using "she" for ease of writing) is still breech and in the same spot she has been for the past couple of ultrasounds.  The way she is positioned makes it difficult for them to get any shots of her face, but we will meet this little one soon enough so I told them there was no need to keep trying for a good face shot. 

My cervix has shortened a bit to 2.7 cm, but Dr. B was not too concerned about that at this stage in the game.  He did another fFN test to see if my body has started the process of labor, but even if that is positive, there is nothing we would do different.  If the baby tries to come in two weeks, I will be 33 weeks and while they will try to stop the labor, they won't break their backs doing it. 

My amniotic fluid levels look great, so there is no real explanation why I measured smaller last week (especially considering the baby is still in the same position). 

Unless I have any problems come up, Dr. B has released me from his care and doesn't see any reason why we would have another preemie baby.  I am to continue the P17 shots until week 36 - though he said I could stop them at 34 weeks if I wanted to.  I don't.  I will make it to 36 weeks!

He also said that there is no reason to check me for CMV again.  The baby looks great on the ultrasound and Wade should no longer be contagious.  While I could still catch CMV from someone else, there is no reason to keep testing me for the virus. 

It was a great check-up and has me breathing a bit easier this afternoon.  I just wish there was a way to guarantee my water won't spontaneously break like it did with Charlotte! 

No comments:

Post a Comment