Sunday, September 26, 2010

The name game

When we got pregnant with Charlotte, we started working on possible names for our baby.  We were quick to decide on a boy name, Robert (after my sweet daddy) Brooks (after Wade's brother and grandmother), but struggled with a girl name. 

We had a list of three names we were throwing around (I think there was another one, but I cannot recall it now): 
  1. Charlotte (after my mom's mom) Elizabeth (after Wade's mom's mom)
  2. Larkin - a maiden name on my mom's side that was almost my name
  3. Sarah Grace - after my sister and Grace is a family name as well
Once we found out it was a girl, we put Robert Brooks on the shelf and got to work naming our first daughter.  Wade doesn't like double names, so Sarah Grace was out and he was not a fan of Larkin.  Charlotte it was.  And I couldn't think of a better name for our sweet girl.

When I was pregnant with Frances, Mere was on her death bed when I recalled a conversation we had had on the way to the beach Thanksgiving of 2006.  "I always wanted someone named after me, but that never happened.  You are my Frances," Mere told me. 

I walked into her living room and pulled Wade aside.  I told him the story and asked, "If this is a girl, can we name her after Mere?" 

Being the amazing husband he is, he said yes without missing a beat. 

"Can I tell her now?" I asked.

"Of course," he said.

I went back to Mere's room and told her the news.  She was thrilled.  A few days later she told my dad, "I want to reverse this," and ended up making it two months past Frances' arrival. 

Many people questioned our decision to give Frances such an "old fashioned" name, but just like her big sister, there is no other name in this world that would fit her like Frances does. 

Since we are not finding out the sex of this baby, we are having to pick a name for both a girl and a boy.  The boy has been a no-brainer - Robert Brooks - but the girl name we have been struggling with.  We have thrown around a few names, but nothing has felt just right.

After attending my cousin Whitney's baby shower yesterday, I realized that I have bonded with the idea of this baby being a boy since he has a name, but I am very detached from the possibility of it being a girl.  Try as I might, I just couldn't get excited about Christmas Baby maybe being a girl. 

Last night after some discussion, we finally picked a girl name.  And you know what, I have really started to get excited about the possibility of another girl. 

This morning while the girls were in a cheerleading camp at LSU, Wade and I got to tell her namesake in person and it was so much fun! 

My precious little one, whether you are a girl or a boy, you are named after a very special person in my life and your middle name is after a very special person in your daddy's life. 

Whitney Brooks or Robert Brooks, we cannot wait to meet you!

5 comments:

  1. Yeah!!! I love them both!! Can't wait to see which name is born!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like them both too! I understand you wanting a boy. It's hard to explain. You want one but at the same time all you want is for it to be healthy. A boy is just something new to you with 2 girls. Once he or she gets here, then you will forget all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Stephanie, please don't miss understand my bonding with the idea of a boy with wanting the baby to be a boy! I really have no desire one way or the other for the sex of the baby. I am just so thankful to be pregnant, that the sex of the baby is really a non-issue.

    It is just that I had bonded with the possibility of a boy because that is the only sex we had a name for. Now that we have finally chosen a girl name, I am equally excited about my girls having either a little brother or sister.

    I just like to be prepared...even when we don't know the sex! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you have chosen all family names for your babies! It is both sentimental and flattering. Your kids will always know the strong importance of family starting with their namesakes.

    I love Whitney, BTW:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to agree with Amy! I love family names as well, Gusley is after my great grandfather and his middle name is after Jake's grandfather and uncle! So special and I love either name!

    ReplyDelete